Share’s SNAP-Ed partnership launches their first produce stands
- News and Media
In October 2022, Share Food Program’s SNAP-Ed partnership launched their first two produce stands. Two months later, four stands are now up and running, and by the end of the 2023 school year, Share’s SNAP-Ed will be providing fresh produce at 17 schools through 15 produce stands and two direct distributions.
“Our produce stands are open in the early morning, at school drop-off time, and then later at dismissal time, because these are the best times to connect with parents, grandparents, family members—and the best times to have community engagement as well,” says Keliah Riley, Share Food Program’s SNAP-Ed Program Coordinator.
In collaboration with Vetri Community Partnership and Eat Right Philly, Share’s SNAP-Ed produce stands host food tastings and provide recipes that feature an ingredient from each month’s produce box (like this recipe for apple pancakes and this recipe for spring vegetable hash). The produce stands also distribute books for all ages through Share’s BookSmiles partnership, and information about other no-cost food locations in each area.
By Spring 2023, Share Food Program’s Nice Roots Farm will be working with the SNAP-Ed produce stands to supply more locally-grown fruits and vegetables and teach folks about urban farming and gardening.
There are no restrictions on who can get free produce and other resources from Share’s SNAP-Ed stands. “Everything is free, open and available to anyone who needs it,” says Riley.
MORE RECIPES & RESOURCES
- Recipes from Eat Right Philly
- Recipes categorized by meal that include the cook time, total cost and tasks kids can help with
- Recipes from Vetri Community Partnership
- Recipe library sortable by ingredient, meal type and nutritional base (vegan/vegetarian)
- Eat Right Philly’s Family Wellness Site
- Resources for parents and caregivers like nutrition videos, a list of food resources around the city, events and more
- Share Food Program’s Find Food Map
- A map of over 100 free food distribution sites in Greater Philadelphia, searchable by address and days open